Diabetic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 3/4 teaspoons Equal for Recipes or 6 packets Equal sweetener or
1/4 cup Equal Spoonful
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons margarine, at room temperature
- 3 1/2 teaspoons Equal for Recipes or 12 packets Equal sweetener or 1/2 cup Equal Spoonful
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/4 cup juice.
- Mix pineapple, pecans, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 3/4 teaspoons
Equal for Recipes or 6 packets Equal sweetener or 1/4 cup Equal
Spoonful and cornstarch in bottom of 8-inch square or 9-inch round
cake pan; spread mixture evenly in pan.
- Beat margarine and 3 1/2 teaspoons Equal for Recipes or 12 packets
Equal sweetener or 1/2 cup Equal Spoonful in medium bowl until fluffy;
beat in egg.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices in small bowl.
Add to margarine mixture alternately with buttermilk, 1/4 cup reserved
pineapple juice and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice, beginning
and ending with dry ingredients.
- Spread batter over pineapple mixture in cake pan.
- Bake in preheated
350 degree F oven until browned and toothpick inserted in center
comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Invert cake immediately onto serving plate.
- Serve warm or at room
Makes 8 servings.
If desired, maraschino cherry halves may be placed in bottom
of cake pan with pineapple mixture.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories: 156, Protein: 3
g, Carbohydrates: 22 g, Fat: 7 g Cholesterol: 27 mg, Sodium: 257
Food Exchanges: 1-1/2 Bread, 1 Fat 46% calorie reduction from