Peach Almond Upside-Down Cake
40% calorie reduction from traditional recipe
- 1 (15 ounce) can sliced peaches in light syrup, undrained
- 3 tablespoons apricot spreadable fruit
- 1 tablespoon stick butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon reserved peach syrup
- 1/4 cup Equal Spoonful*
- 2 tablespoons sliced toasted almonds
- 6 tablespoons stick butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup Equal Spoonful**
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup reserved peach syrup
* May substitute 6 packets Equal sweetener
** May substitute 24 packets Equal sweetener
- Drain peaches reserving syrup. Combine spreadable fruit, melted butter, 1 tablespoon
reserved peach syrup and 1/4 cup Equal Spoonful in bottom of 9-inch round cake pan.
Cut peach slices horizontally in half. Arrange slices in concentric circles over
butter mixture. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Beat butter, 1 cup Equal Spoonful, eggs and almond extract with electric mixer
- Combine cake flour, baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon. Add to butter
mixture alternately with buttermilk and 1/3 cup reserved peach syrup, beginning
and ending with dry ingredients. Mix well after each addition. Spread batter over
peach slices in pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted
in center comes out clean.
- Let stand a few minutes, then invert onto serving plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 244 cal., 5 g pro., 29 g carb., 12 g fat,
80 mg chol., 247 mg sodium
Food exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 starch, 2 fat
Recipe and photo credit: Equal Sweetener