Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
The cake layer is tender due to buttermilk. Equal provides sweetness and saves
on calories. Serve it warm with fat-free whipped topping.
Traditional recipe with 35% fewer calories!
- 8 slices canned pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1 tablespoon stick butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon reserved pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup Equal Spoonful*
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 maraschino cherries, drained, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
- 6 tablespoons stick butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup Equal Spoonful**
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup reserved pineapple juice
* May substitute 6 packets Equal sweetener
** May substitute 24 packets Equal sweetener
- Drain pineapple slices, reserving juice.
- Combine melted butter, 1 tablespoon
reserved pineapple juice, 1/4 cup Equal Spoonful and cornstarch in bottom of 9-inch
round cake pan. Arrange drained pineapple slices, cherries and nuts over butter
- Beat butter, 1 cup Equal Spoonful, eggs and vanilla extract with electric mixer until
blended. Combine cake flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to butter
mixture alternately with buttermilk and 1/3 cup reserved pineapple juice, beginning
and ending with dry ingredients. Mix well after each addition. Spread batter over
pineapple slices in pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted
in center comes out clean.
- Let stand fir a few minutes, then invert onto serving plate.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 253 cal., 4 g pro., 31 g carb., 13 g fat,
80 mg chol., 247 mg sodium
Food exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 starch, 2 1/2 fat
Recipe and photo credit: Equal Sweetener
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Diabetic Recipes