Fruit Baked Apples
Great cold weather dessert – spiced dried fruit mixture fills fresh apples that
are then baked in an apple cider sauce. It fills the house with tempting aromas
as it bakes.
34% calorie reduction from traditional recipe
- 1/2 cup Equal Spoonful*
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 cups apple cider or juice
- 1 (6 ounce) package dried
mixed fruit, chopped
- 1 tablespoon stick butter or margarine
- 8 tart baking
* May substitute 12 packets Equal Sweetener
- Combine Equal, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg in medium saucepan. Stir in cider
and dried fruit. Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until fruit is tender
and cider mixture is reduced to about 1 cup. Stir in butter until melted.
- Remove cores from apples, cutting into but not through bottoms. Peel 1-inch around
tops. Place apples in greased baking pan. Fill centers with fruit. Spoon remaining
cider mixture over apples.
- Bake uncovered, in preheated 350 degree F oven about 45 minutes or until apples
are tender when pierced with a fork.
Makes 8 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 176 cal., 1 g pro., 42 g carb., 2 g fat,
0 mg chol., 22 mg sodium
Food exchanges: 2 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
Reprinted with permission from