Rhubarb and Apple Crumble
A warm fruit dessert combining two favorites - apples and rhubarb. Sweetened
with Equal, you can add that optional frozen yogurt or ice cream topping and still
have a healthy dessert.
36% calorie reduction from traditional recipe.
- 3 cups peeled, cored 3/4-inch cubed Granny Smith apples
- 2 1/2 cups 3/4-inch cubed fresh red rhubarb
- 1/2 cup Equal Spoonful*
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water or apple juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel (optional)
- 3/4 cup quick or old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1/3 cup Equal Spoonful**
- 2 tablespoons stick butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
* May substitute 12 packets Equal sweetener
** May substitute 8 packets Equal sweetener
- Filling: Combine apples, rhubarb, 1/2 cup Equal and cornstarch. Place in 1 1/2 quart casserole
- Combine water, lemon juice and lemon peel. Pour over fruit mixture.
- Cover and
bake in preheated 400 degrees F oven for 20-25 minutes or until fruit is tender. Meanwhile, make the Topping.
- Topping: Combine oats, raisins, nuts, 1/3 cup Equal, butter and cinnamon until
well blended. Remove cover from fruit mixture. Sprinkle with oats mixture.
- Return to oven and bake, uncovered, an additional 8 to 10 minutes or until topping is crisp.
- Serve warm with frozen yogurt, ice cream or whipped topping.
Yield: 6 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 177 cal., 3 g pro., 26 g carb., 8 g fat,
10 mg chol., 45 mg sodium
Food exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 starch, 1 1/2 fat
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Diabetic Recipes