Adrian Leon’s Huitlacoche Quesadilla
(Mexican Mushrooms Quesadilla)
Huitlacoche is a Mexican delicacy and Chef Adrian Leon combines it with field
and shitake mushrooms, onions, garlic and corn to create a smoky-sweet filling for
freshly made tortillas.
- 1 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1/2 pound mushrooms (field and shitake)
- 1 (7 ounce) can huitlacoche
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 (12 ounce) container cottage cheese
- 3 cups masa-harina for tortillas
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- For the filling: Cook the onion with the oil and butter for 5 minutes in an 8
inch cast-iron frying pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Add
mushrooms and huitlacoche and continue cooking for 7 minutes. Add SPLENDA® Granulated
Sweetener and corn and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper, cilantro and parsley and set aside.
- For the masa: Heat a 10-inch comal (griddle or cast-iron frying pan) over
- Mix masa harina with salt and 1 3/4 cups of warm water to make soft but not dry
dough. Divide the dough into 20 balls; shape each ball into a 5 inch long by 1 1/2
inches wide log.
- Place a log between two sheets of plastic, put it in a tortilla press and press
down. If you do not have a tortilla press, press with your hand and create an oval
shape, turn it and press on the other side.
- Remove the plastic and place over the pre-heated griddle. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes
on each side or until it starts to brown and removes easily form the griddle without
- Top each tortilla with the filling and cheese, fold and serve.
Serves: 10 | Prep Time: 25 Min | Cook Time: 1 Hr
Pre-made corn tortillas can also be warmed and filled in place of the fresh masa
Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe: 10 Serving Size: 2 quesadillas Amount
Per Serving Calories: 220 Calories from Fat: 50 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Cholesterol: < 5mg Sodium: 570mg Total Carbs: 35g Dietary Fiber: 6g Sugars: 4g
Recipe and photo credit: Splenda
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Diabetic Recipes