Ham with Cherry Sauce
Turn a baked ham into a festive meal with this colorful and easy to make Cherry
Sauce. Canned or frozen tart cherries, pineapple juice and Equal provide the necessary
33% calorie reduction from traditional recipe
- 1 (3 pound) fully cooked boneless ham
- Whole cloves
- Fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans red tart pitted cherries
in juice, undrained*
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 4 teaspoons
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup Equal Spoonful**
- Red food coloring
** May substitute 24 packets Equal sweetener
- Place ham in roasting pan; stud with cloves. Roast ham in preheated 325 degree
F oven for about 1 1/2 hours or until thermometer inserted in center of ham registers
160 degrees F.
- For Cherry Sauce, drain cherries, reserving juice in a 2-cup glass measure. Add
enough pineapple juice to make 2 cups. Combine juice mixture and lemon juice in
medium saucepan. Whisk in cornstarch until smooth.
- Heat to boiling, whisking constantly. Stir in cherries. Cook over medium heat
3 to 4 minutes or until heated through. Stir in Equal and food coloring.
- Slice ham and arrange on platter. Place bowl for the Cherry Sauce in center.
Garnish with parsley.
Makes 16 servings
* 2 (16 ounces) packages frozen unsweetened pitted cherries, thawed,
can be substituted for canned cherries. Drain cherries thoroughly. Add enough pineapple
juice to make 2 cups. Proceed as recipe directs.
Nutrition information per serving: 156 cal., 18 g pro., 9 g carb., 5 g fat,
45 mg chol., 1027 mg sodium
Food exchanges: 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fruit