Curried Lentils and Vegetables
A simple, yet richly flavored dish. Enjoy on its own or over warm quinoa, brown
rice or millet. Make lentils a regular part of your meals for quality protein and
a good source of fiber. Try this recipe with different vegetables such as cauliflower,
bell peppers, celery or broccoli.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil 30 mL
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder 10 mL
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 5 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 2 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 2 mL
- 1 cup water 250 mL
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils, rinsed 125 mL
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced 250 mL
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 (14 ounce/398 mL) can low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cooking sherry 15 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper 1 mL
- chopped cilantro, optional garnish
- In large saucepan with lid, heat canola oil to medium. Add onion and sauté until
softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, cloves and thyme. Stir and cook for about
- Add water, lentils, carrots, sweet potato, tomatoes (and their liquid) and sherry.
Simmer for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste with pepper and garnish with cilantro, if using.
Recipe and photo credit: