Apple Cranberry Streusel Pie
Colorful pie that pairs seasonal cranberries and apples. Crunchy topping adds
to the overall crisp texture. Serve warm topped with frozen vanilla yogurt.
3% calorie reduction from traditional recipe.
- Pastry for single-crust 9-inch pie
- 1 cup Equal Spoonful*
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen, thawed cranberries
- 1 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup Equal Spoonful**
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 14 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups sliced, cored, peeled Granny Smith or other baking apples (about 5 medium)
- 1/4 cup quick or old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Equal Spoonful***
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons cold stick butter or margarine, cut into pieces
* May substitute 24 packets Equal sweetener
** May substitute 6 packets Equal sweetener
*** May substitute 12 packets Equal sweetener
- Pie Filling: Roll pastry on floured surface into circle 1-inch larger than
inverted 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into plate; trim and flute edge.
- Combine 1 cup Equal Spoonful and cornstarch in small saucepan. Stir in cranberries
and apple cider. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, stirring constantly, until
thickened, about 1 minute.
- Combine 1/4 cup Equal Spoonful, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; sprinkle over apples
in large bowl. Toss to coat. Pour cranberry mixture over apples and mix gently.
Arrange fruit in pie pastry.
- Streusel Topping: Combine oats, flour, 1/2 cup Equal Spoonful, cinnamon and
nutmeg in small bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles
coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over fruit in pie pastry.
- Bake pie in preheated 400 degree F oven 50 to 60 minutes or until pastry is golden
and apples are tender. Cover pie loosely with aluminum foil during last 20 to 30
minutes of baking time if browning too quickly.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition information per serving (1/8 pie): 227 calories; 2g protein; 33g
carbohydrate; 14g sugar; 11g fat; 6g saturated fat; 20mg cholesterol; 151mg sodium;
Food exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 starch, 2 fat
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.