- 2 pounds McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (7 cups)
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Butter Buds Sprinkles
- 4 packets Sweet 'N Low
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- Nonfat frozen vanilla yogurt (optional)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking
- In a large bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, Butter Buds, Sweet 'N Low, flour, cinnamon
and allspice. Add to the apples and toss to coat.
- Lightly spray one sheet of phyllo dough with nonstick cooking spray. Fold in
half and spray again. Place in the pie pan with one edge hanging over the pan. Repeat
the process with the remaining 3 sheets of dough, overlapping in the pan to cover
the bottom completely.
- Spoon the apple mixture into the pan. Fold the edges of the dough over to cover
the apples. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 35 minutes, or until the dough
is crisp and the apples are tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Cool slightly
- Serve with nonfat frozen vanilla yogurt, if desired.
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie, 8 servings.
Variation: Seven cups of sliced fresh peaches or pears, or fresh blueberries,
may be substituted for the apples.
Per serving (1/8 pie): 115 calories, 1g protein, 29g carbohydrate, 1g fat,
1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit