Apple Streusel Pie
Streusel topping with nuts takes apple pie one step beyond the basic. For a flavor
change try using 2 or 3 types of apples in the filling.
31% calorie reduction from traditional recipe.
- Pastry for single-crust 9-inch pie
- 3/4 cup Equal Spoonful*
- 2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups sliced, cored and peeled
Granny Smith apples (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Equal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons
stick butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
* May substitute 18 packets Equal sweetener
** May substitute 12 packets Equal sweetener
- Roll pastry on floured surface into circle 1-inch larger than inverted 9-inch
pie pan. Ease pastry into pan; trim and flute edge.
- Combine 3/4 cup Equal Spoonful, cornstarch, lemon juice, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon,
1/4 teaspoon salt and nutmeg. Sprinkle over apples in large bowl and toss. Spoon
apples into pie crust.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup Equal Spoonful, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon
salt. Stir in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle
- Bake in preheated 375 degree F oven 45 to 55 minutes or until apples
are tender and crust is golden.
- Cool on wire rack.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition information per serving: 275 cal., 3 g pro., 33 g carb;, 16g fat,
20 mg chol., 223 mg sodium
Food exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 3 fat
Recipe and photo credit:
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Diabetic Recipes