Banana Cream Pie
A decadent looking pie that has 39% less calories than the traditional recipe
thanks to Equal and reduced fat milk and whipped topping. No flavor is lost - just
- Pastry for single-crust 9-inch pie
- 1 1/4 cups Equal Spoonful*
- 7 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2
cups coarsely chopped ripe banana (about 3 medium)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 cups prepared fat-free whipped topping
* May substitute 30 packets Equal sweetener
- Roll pastry on lightly floured surface into circle 1 inch larger than inverted
9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pan; trim and flute edge. Pierce bottom and side
of pastry with fork.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until
crust is lightly browned.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, combine Equal, cornstarch and salt in medium size saucepan. Whisk
in milk until mixture is smooth. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, whisking
constantly. Boil and stir for 1 minute or until thickened, whisking constantly.
- Beat egg yolks in small bowl until smooth. Stir about 1/2 cup hot mixture milk
mixture into eggs. Whisk egg mixture back into milk mixture in saucepan. Cook over
very low heat, whisking constantly, 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from heat; let stand
about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine chopped bananas and lemon juice. Fold into milk mixture. Spoon
into baked pie pastry.
- Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or until filling is set. Spread
prepared whipped topping over filling.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 8 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 228 cal., 5 g pro., 34 g carb., 8 g fat,
62 mg chol., 206 mg sodium
Food exchanges: 1 milk, 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 1/2 fat