Lemon Meringue Pie
The traditional dessert with 61% less calories. A cooked lemon custard layer
is topped with mounds of golden baked meringue. Your diet never had it so good!
- Pastry for single crust 9-inch pie
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon
juice or frozen lemon juice concentrate*
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 cups Equal Spoonful**
- 2 tablespoons stick butter or margarine
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food color (optional)
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup Equal Spoonful***
* such as Minute Maid Premium Lemon Juice (frozen)-100% Pure Lemon Juice from
** May substitute 36 packets Equal sweetener
*** May substitute 16 packets Equal sweetener
- Roll pastry on lightly floured surface into circle 1 inch larger than inverted
9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pan; trim and flute edge. Pierce bottom and side
of pastry with fork.
- Bake in preheated 425 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until
pastry is golden. Cool on wire rack.
- Combine water, lemon juice and cornstarch in medium saucepan. Heat to boiling
over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; boil and stir 1 minute.
- Beat eggs, 2 egg whites and lemon peel in medium bowl. Mix in 1 1/2 cups Equal
Spoonful. Stir about half of hot cornstarch mixture into egg mixture. Return all
to saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter
until melted. Stir in food color, if desired. Pour mixture into baked pie shell.
- Beat 3 egg whites in medium bowl until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat to
soft peaks. Gradually beat in 2/3 cup Equal Spoonful, beating to stiff peaks. Spread
meringue over hot lemon filling, carefully sealing to edge of crust to prevent shrinking
- Bake pie in preheated 425 degree F oven about 5 minutes or until meringue is
- Cool completely on wire rack before cutting.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition information per serving: 178 cal., 5 g pro., 20 g carb., 9 g fat,
65 mg chol., 133 mg sodium
Food exchanges: 1 starch, 2 fat
Recipe and photo credit: