Pulled Pork Barbecue
Slow oven cooked pork in a homemade barbecue sauce combining tomatoes, garlic,
onion, vinegar, mustard and chili powder with a hint of Equal sweetness. Serve on
crusty whole grain rolls.
15% calorie reduction from traditional recipe.
- 1 whole pork tenderloin, (about 1 pound), all fat trimmed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/3 cup Equal Spoonful*
- Salt and pepper
- 6 multigrain hamburger buns, toasted
* May substitute 8 packets Equal sweetener
- Rub pork with 1 teaspoon chili powder and garlic powder; place in baking pan.
- Bake in preheated 425 degrees F oven until pork is well browned and juices run
clear, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut into 2- to 3-inch slices; shred slices into bite-size pieces with fork.
- Spray medium saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot.
- Sauté onion and garlic until tender; about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, vinegar, mustard, chili powder, maple extract and liquid smoke
to saucepan; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until medium sauce
consistency, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in Equal. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir pork into sauce; cook
until hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into buns.
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 238 calories; 21 grams protein; 27 grams
carbohydrate; 4 grams sugar; 6 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 49 milligrams cholesterol;
369 milligrams sodium; 4 grams fiber
Food exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 starch
Recipe and photo credit:
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.