Curried Pineapple Rice
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 1/2 cups
uncooked long grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and
- 1 (20 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained, or
the equivalent of fresh pineapple
- 4 green onions, chopped
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender. Stir in rice, garlic,
and curry powder. Add broth, soy sauce and jalapeno, if desired. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in green onions and pineapple chunks.
Serves 12 to 14
Nutritional Analysis: One 3/4 cup serving (prepared with low-sodium broth
and light soy sauce) equals: 178 calories, 96 mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol, 34 gm
carbohydrate, 4 gm protein, 3 gm fat
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit