Fruity Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon low-fat margarine
- 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped pineapple
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- Pinch of allspice
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Boil the potatoes in a pan until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove skins.
- In a large bowl, mash the pulp. Add the margarine, fruit juice and broth and whip until fluffy.
- Add the chopped pineapple and spices.
- Coat a 1-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Transfer the potato mixture to the dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition information per 2/3 cup serving: 116 calories; 0.7g fat (0.2g saturated fat; 5% of calories from fat); 0.1mg cholesterol; 23mg sodium; 26.1g carbohydrate; 2.7g fiber; 1.8g protein
Exchange value: 1 1/2 starch
Source: The All New Diabetic Cookbook - Kitty Maynard, Lucian Maynard and Dr. Theodore Duncan