Sweet and Sour Carrots
A colorful combination of cooked vegetables and fruit in a tangy
sweet/sour sauce. This dish is easy to make and has about one-fourth
fewer calories than a traditional recipe.
- 2 cups carrot slices, 1/4 inch in length
- 1/2 cup celery slices, 1/2 inch in length
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple tidbits (drain and reserve juice)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons stick butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup Equal Spoonful*
* May substitute 6 packets Equal sweetener
- Cook carrots and celery in medium saucepan in small amount of water about 8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Add enough water to reserved pineapple juice to make 1/2 cup liquid. Stir in vinegar, cornstarch, soy sauce and salt. Cook in medium saucepan until liquid thickens.
- Add butter, drained pineapple and onions. Continue stirring until heated.
- Add drained carrots and celery and cook about 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Stir in Equal.
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition information per serving (3/4 cup): 80 calories; 1g protein; 11g carbohydrate; 5g sugar; 4g fat; 2g saturated fat; 10mg cholesterol; 126mg sodium; 2g fiber
Food exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
Reprinted with permission from