White and Black Beans with
Onions and Peppers
The title tells you the ingredients, but not the fact that there
are only 4 grams of fat per serving in this satisfying salad. It
can be made up to 1 day before serving to allow flavors to blend.
19% calorie reduction from traditional recipe.
- 1 cup finely chopped red onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped bell red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons Equal Spoonful*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
- Red and green pepper rings
* May substitute 3 packets Equal sweetener
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil until crisp tender in medium skillet; remove from heat and cool until warm.
- Stir vinegar, peppers, parsley, Equal , salt and pepper into onions.
- Pour onion mixture over combined beans in a bowl; mix well. Garnish with pepper rings.
Nutrition information per serving: 174 cal., 9 g pro., 27 g carb., 4 g fat, 0 mg chol., 78 mg sodium
Food exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
Reprinted with permission from