Cranberry and Apricot Hot Cross Buns
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) Challenge Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 - 4 1/2 cups unbleached bread flour
- 1 large eggs + large egg yolk (reserve white for egg wash)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
- Egg wash: 1 egg white beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- In large mixing bowl combine 1 tablespoon of the sugar with water and sprinkle
in yeast; allow mixture to stand 10 minutes until bubbles form on the top.
- Heat milk and pour over butter and remaining sugar and stir to dissolve;
let cool to lukewarm. Add 1 cup of flour, egg, egg yolk, and the milk mixture
to the dissolved yeast and beat to blend well. Stir in dried fruit, orange zest,
cinnamon and salt. Gradually stir 3 cups more of flour, adding more flour if
necessary to make a soft dough that comes away from the sides of the bowl. Knead
thoroughly until smooth and no longer sticky. Place dough into a lightly buttered
bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled. Punch the dough down and turn it out
on to a lightly floured board. Shape the dough into 24 buns and place on buttered
baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- With the back of a knife carefully press a cross into each bun; then brush
the buns with egg wash.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden
Yield: 24 servings
Source: Recipe developed by Challenge Home Economist
Recipe and photo credit:
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Easter Recipes