Easter Egg Bread
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup milk
- 9 eggs, divided
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Easter egg coloring kit
- About 5 hours before serving or early in day, in bowl, mix sugar, salt,
yeast and 1 cup flour.
- Heat butter and milk until very warm (125 degrees F). With mixer at low
speed, beat liquid into dry ingredients. At medium, beat 2 minutes. Beat in
2 eggs, 1 egg white, and 3/4 cup flour, beat 2 minutes. Stir in lemon peel and
1 1/4 cups flour. On floured surface knead dough about 5 minutes working in
about 1/2 cup flour; place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let
rise in warm place until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, dye 6 eggs your favorite colors, following directions from Easter
egg coloring kit, but do not hard-cook eggs; set aside.
- Grease large cookie sheet. Cut dough in half; form each 1/2 into a 30-inch
long rope. On cookie sheet, twist ropes together to form ring, leaving holes
for 5 eggs. Cover, let rise until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Insert raw, colored eggs into holes in twist;
place 1 egg in center in cup, beat egg yolk with water; use to brush dough.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf, 16 servings
>> Easter Bread Recipes
>> Easter Recipes