This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Easter Paska (Easter Bread)
- 1 package active dry yeast or 1 cake compressed yeast
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups sifted enriched flour
- 2 eggs or 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup white raisins
- Soften yeast in warm water. Combine milk, sugar, salt and butter; cool to
- Stir in 2 cups flour and eggs and mix well. Stir in softened yeast; add
raisins and remaining flour to make a soft dough. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Knead for 10 minutes on lightly floured board until smooth and elastic.
Place in greased bowl turning around to grease all the surface. Cover; let rise
(1 1/2 hours) in warm place or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down and let rise (1 hour more).
- Divide dough into 2 balls. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- For Easter,make into 2 round loaves or make a braided loaf by cutting each
ball of dough into three parts and braid. Put in loaf pan. Cover and let rise
- Just before putting into oven brush, with egg white.
- Bake in moderate oven at 350 degrees F for about 30 to 35 minutes or until