As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon aniseed
- Grated peel of 1 orange
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon mahaleb (optional)
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Grated peel of orange
- 1 cup plus 7 to 8 cups flour
- Sesame seed
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Red Easter eggs (dyed red, but preferably not boiled)
- Extract: Make a flavoring extract by bringing to a boil the water, orange
peel and spices. Boil away a third of the water. Strain liquid into a small
bowl to cool until very warm to touch. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons (packets) of yeast
over this and allow to soften and bubble. Meanwhile, begin the bread.
- Bread: Heat milk, butter, sugar and salt over medium heat until butter melts
and bubbles form. Set aside to cool to lukewarm.
- Beat 3 eggs until fluffy in a large bowl. Add milk mixture, yeast and extract.
Slowly beat in 1 cup flour. Blend well to make a smooth batter. Add grated rind
of second orange. Slowly add more flour until a very soft dough is achieved.
Turn out onto a floured surface. Knead about 10 minutes, adding only enough
flour to keep dough from sticking to hands. Place dough in a greased bowl, turn
it over to coat completely. Cover loosely with 2 sheets of plastic wrap and
cover with a damp towel. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume,
2 to 3 hours.
- Punch dough down. Knead briefly and divide in half. Cover 1/2 with a damp
towel. Shape 3 ropes with the other half of the dough. Roll in a light sprinkling
of sesame seed. Braid ropes and shape into wreath, if desired. Place a red egg
on loaf. Shape a thin cross with 2 strips of dough and decorate egg, if desired.
Repeat with second half of dough. Place loaves on greased cookie sheet. Cover
loosely with plastic film and allow to rise in warm place, about 1 hour.
- Uncover, brush with egg and water mixture and bake at 325 degrees F for
about 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Loaves should give a hollow sound when
rapped with fingers.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Easter Recipes