Hot Cross Buns
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees F)
- 4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup California raisins or Zante currants
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 egg yolk, diluted with 1 teaspoon water for topping
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon water
- Buns: Scald milk; stir in butter and cool to lukewarm. Dissolve yeast in
- Sift flour with sugar, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Stir in raisins until well coated.
- Stir in eggs, cooled milk and yeast; blend well.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and
elastic, 5 to 8 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.
Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough, pinch off pieces, and form smooth, rounded balls
about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place balls of dough on greased baking
sheet about 2-inches apart. Brush each bun with diluted egg yolk. Snip
1/2-inch deep cross in center of each bun with greased scissors. Let
buns rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly
- Cool on wire racks about 5 minutes.
- Drizzle icing on the cross.
- Lemon Icing: Combine powdered sugar, lemon juice and water; beat
Yield: 18 buns | Serves: 18
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 12%);
Total Fat 3 ( Saturated Fat 1; Trans Fat 0; ); Cholesterol 35; Sodium 160;
Potassium 173; Total Carbohydrate 39; Dietary Fiber 2; Sugars 16; Protein 5;
Calcium 31; Iron 2
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
California Raisin Marketing Board
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Easter Recipes