The French Loaf Almond-Kissed
Hot Cross Buns
Instead of frosting, The French Loaf in Columbus, Ohio, tops these rich coffee
rolls with an almond-flavored batter baked in a cross pattern.
- 3/4 cup light raisins
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup finely chopped candied fruit
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, pour boiling water over raisins to cover. Let stand for
10 minutes; drain well.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, beat granulated sugar, shortening, salt
and cinnamon with an electric mixer. Beat in eggs and yolk. Add 2 1/4 cups of
the flour, the water and yeast. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for
30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using
a spoon, stir in candied fruit, drained raisins and as much remaining flour
as you can.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining
flour to make a moderately stiff dough (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape into a
ball. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease surface. Cover; let rise
in a warm place till doubled (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Punch dough down. Divide into 4 portions. Divide each portion into 10 pieces.
Shape into balls about the size of golf balls. Arrange balls in two greased
13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pans, leaving a finger width between each. Cover; let
rise till almost doubled (about 1 hour).
- Meanwhile, prepare Cross Batter: In a medium mixing bowl, cream butter or
margarine and powdered sugar. Add egg, water, vanilla extract, almond extract
and 1/4 cup of the all-purpose flour; beat till smooth. Stir in the remaining
all-purpose flour. Mix in more water, if necessary, to make a thick batter for
piping. Spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round tip. Pipe
a cross on each.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden.
Yield: 40 buns
>> Easter Bread Recipes
>> Easter Recipes