Baked Eggs on Creamed Spinach
- 1 bunch spinach (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste
- 2 large eggs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F and butter two 1/3- to 1/2-cup ramekins.
- Discard coarse stems from spinach. In a 2- to 3-quart saucepan of boiling
salted water cook spinach 2 minutes and drain in a sieve, pressing with back
of a large spoon to remove as much water as possible. Finely chop spinach.
- In a small nonstick skillet cook onion in butter over moderately low heat,
stirring, until softened.
- Stir in spinach, cream, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste and cook, stirring,
- Divide creamed spinach between ramekins and break an egg into each.
- On a baking sheet bake eggs in upper third of oven until whites are cooked
through, or until desired doneness, about 12 minutes. (The yolks will not be
fully cooked, which may be of concern if there is a problem with salmonella
in your area.)
- Season eggs with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Yield: 2 servings
From the kitchen of Martin James – Copenhagen, Denmark
>> Easter Brunch Recipes
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Easter Recipes