Green Chile Bread Pudding
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup (2 1/2 ounces) loosely packed coarsely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (1 1/2 ounces) loosely packed coarsely shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons canned diced green chiles
- 6 1/2 cups trimmed and cubed (1-inch) day-old French or Italian bread
- Adjust rack to lower third of oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously butter a 12-cup (2 1/4-inch, scant 1/2 cup capacity) muffin tin.
(If you prefer to use ramekins or mini-muffin pans, see cook's note).
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and cream to blend thoroughly.
- Mix in the chili powder, salt, cumin and oregano, then mix in the cheeses
- Add the bread; mix thoroughly. Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a knife blade inserted into the centers
comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Slide a knife blade around puddings to loosen them; lift out of molds with
a small spatula.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: 12 servings
Cook's note: You also may make the bread puddings in ramekins, individual
custard cups, or mini-muffin pans. Adjust baking times as follows: Place filled
ramekins or custard cups on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes; or bake
pudding in mini-muffin pans for about 15 minutes.
Recipe by Flo Braker for the California Milk Advisory Board. Used with permission
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Easter Recipes