Ham and Spinach Pie
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach
- 2 whole leeks, washed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) cooked ham, diced
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup light cream
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- Pastry: In a large bowl combine the flour and salt. Cut in the butter
until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water and toss until a soft dough
is formed. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill.
- Filling: Clean and stem the spinach. Stack and slice spinach leaves
into 1/2-inch shreds.
- In a large saucepan, melt the cutter. Add the spinach and leeks and cook
- add the parsley and garlic; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the ham.
Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out chilled dough to fit the bottom and
1 inch up the sides of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Fit crust into pan. Line crust
with foil and fill with pie weights.
- Pre-bake the pastry for 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove foil and pie weights. Let pastry cool.
- Place the spinach mixture in a large bowl. Gently mix in the eggs, cream,
salt and pepper. Turn mixture into cooled pastry.
- Bake pie at 450 degrees F for 30 minutes or until filling is set. Let pie
cool slightly, then cut into squares.
- Serve hot.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings