Citrus Butter Cake with Lemon Glaze
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon or orange peel
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup lemon or orange juice
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
Topping and Garnish
- Confectioners' sugar
- Lemon slices
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 7-inch round baking pan. Dust with
flour; tap out excess.
- Cake: Beat together sugar and butter at medium speed until smooth. Pour batter
into prepared pan; smooth top.
- Bake cake until golden and the center springs back when lightly pressed,
55 to 65 minutes.
- Glaze: Cook lemon juice and sugar over medium heat until sugar
- Transfer cake to a wire rack. Prick cake several times with a wooden pick.
Brush warm cake with glaze.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Loosen cake by running a metal spatula around sides of pan. Turn cake out
onto rack to cool completely.
- Topping and Garnish: Place a paper doily on top of cake. Dust with confectioners'
sugar. Gently remove doily. Garnish with lemon slices.
Yield: 8 servings