Easter Bonnet Cake
Impress your family at Easter with this adorable cake. Since it serves 20,
it's a great addition to any large family gathering.
- 15 Spring OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, divided
- 1 (2-layer size) box yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) can ready-to-spread vanilla frosting
- 1 1/3 cups BAKER'S ANGEL FLAKE Coconut
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Split 11 of the cookies in half, leaving filling on 1 side of each cookie.
Reserve split cookies with filling for brim of hat.
- Coarsely chop plain split cookies and remaining 4 whole cookies; set aside.
- Beat cake mix, water, oil and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on
low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in chopped cookies.
- Pour 3 cups of the batter into greased and floured 9-inch round cake pan
and 3/4 cup of the batter into greased and floured 10-ounce glass custard cup.
Spoon remaining batter into 8 paper-lined medium muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centers of cake in
custard cup and cupcakes comes out clean. Remove to wire racks to cool. Continue
baking cake in cake pan 10 to 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center
comes out clean.
- Let cakes stand in custard cup and cake pan 10 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place 9-inch cake layer on serving plate; spread top with some of the frosting.
Place cake round from custard cup, top side down and slightly off-center, on
top of 9-inch cake layer. Reserve 1/3 cup of the frosting for spreading onto
tops of cupcakes; frost side and top of bonnet with the remaining frosting.
Sprinkle with coconut; press coconut gently into frosting to secure.
- Halve reserved split cookies; place, filling side up and rounded edge out,
around brim of hat. Decorate cupcakes with reserved frosting and candies. Cut
cake into 12 pieces to serve. Serve with cupcakes.
- Place colored ribbon around center cake round to resemble bonnet bow. Decorate
with artificial or edible flowers.
Yield: 20 servings, 1 cake piece or 1 cupcake each
Nutrition (per serving): Calories 340 Total fat 16g Saturated fat 5g Cholesterol
30mg Sodium 290mg Carbohydrate 47g Dietary fiber 1g Sugars 36g Protein 3g Vitamin
A 0%DV Vitamin C 0%DV Calcium 4%DV Iron 6%DV
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Kraft Foods - kraftrecipes.com