Leg of Lamb with Lemon-Mint Sauce
- 1 (5 pound) bone-in lamb leg
- 14 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup red wine grated lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Lamb: Dry lamb well. Finely chop 8 cloves garlic and place in a glass dish or
sturdy plastic bag large enough to hold the lamb. Stir in 4 teaspoons each of
oregano and rosemary, 1/4 cup of oil, wine, zest and lemon juice. Place lamb
in marinade, turning to coat well on all sides; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Crush remaining 6 cloves of garlic and stir together with remaining 2 teaspoons
each oregano and rosemary. Remove lamb from marinade and pierce in several places
with the tip of a sharp knife. Rub garlic- herb mixture over lamb, pressing
into incisions. Coat with remaining oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place
on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until
thermometer registers an internal temperature of 130 degrees F. Cover loosely
with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
- Lemon-Mint Sauce: In small saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring
until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in mint, lemon zest and lemon
juice. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.