Royal Roast Leg of Lamb
with Red Wine Gravy
- 1 (4 pound) leg of lamb
- 3 gloves garlic, slivered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4-5 bacon slices
Red Wine Gravy
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- Lamb: Using a sharp knife, remove fell (thin membrane) and most of the fat from
lamb. Cut about 25 slits all over lamb and insert garlic slivers.
- Combine oil, lemon juice and rosemary; brush over lamb.
- Place bacon slices over lamb and secure with wooden picks if necessary.
Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Roast lamb in 325 degreea F oven for 1 3/4 to 2 hours or until meat thermometer
reaches 140 degrees F for rare or 160 degrees F for medium.
- Remove lamb to platter; cover loosely with foil and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Red Wine Gravy: Skim fat from pan. Add onion and cook over medium heat,
stirring often, for 4 minutes or until softened.
- Pour in wine and bring to boil over medium-high heat; boil for 1 minute,
stirring to scrape up brown bits.
- Add stock and return to boil; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until reduced to
about 1 cup.
- Stir cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cold water; stir into stock mixture and
cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Blend in tomato paste. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Strain if desired.
- Pour gravy into sauceboat and serve with meat.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.