Springtime Leg of Lamb
- 1 (6 to 9 pound) leg of lamb
- Salt and pepper
- Dried oregano
- 1 large clove garlic, cut into slivers
- 1 pound fresh or frozen small white onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds fresh asparagus or 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen asparagus spears
- Sprinkle lamb with salt, pepper and oregano. With sharp knife, cut frequent
slits in lamb surface. Insert garlic slivers in slits. Place lamb on rack in
shallow roasting pan.
- Roast in oven preheated to 325 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes per pound,
or until meat thermometer registers 140 degrees F for rare, 160 degrees F for
medium or 170 degrees F for well done.
- Thirty minutes before end of roasting time, cook onions in boiling salted
water until tender. Drain and keep warm.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in parsley, basil, 1/8 teaspoon oregano, a
dash of pepper and lemon juice. Add onions and heat slowly. Cook asparagus.
- Arrange asparagus alternately with onions on platter around leg of lamb.
Pour remaining butter sauce over onions and asparagus.
Yield: 6 to 10 servings (depending on size of leg of lamb)
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Easter Recipes