Springtime Leg of Lamb
- 1 (6 to 9 pound) leg of lamb
- Salt and pepper
- Dried oregano
- 1 large clove garlic, cut into slivers
- 1 pound fresh or frozen small white onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds fresh asparagus or 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen asparagus spears
- Sprinkle lamb with salt, pepper and oregano. With sharp knife, cut frequent
slits in lamb surface. Insert garlic slivers in slits. Place lamb on rack in
shallow roasting pan.
- Roast in oven preheated to 325 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes per pound,
or until meat thermometer registers 140 degrees F for rare, 160 degrees F for
medium or 170 degrees F for well done.
- Thirty minutes before end of roasting time, cook onions in boiling salted
water until tender. Drain and keep warm.
- Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in parsley, basil, 1/8 teaspoon oregano, a
dash of pepper and lemon juice. Add onions and heat slowly. Cook asparagus.
- Arrange asparagus alternately with onions on platter around leg of lamb.
Pour remaining butter sauce over onions and asparagus.
Yield: 6 to 10 servings (depending on size of leg of lamb)
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.