Ukrainian Resurrection Day Beet Horseradish Relish
This very popular concoction is welcome at any festive table, not only for its
tart and tangy taste, but also for its refreshing color. It accentuates roasts,
smoked meats, pashtet, egg dishes and casseroles.
- 9 or 10 medium beets
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup fresh grated horseradish
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dill seeds or caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Uncooked Horseradish Sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh grated horseradish
- 1 cup sour cream or clabbered cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar of lemon juice (or to taste)
- Beets: Cut off beet tops to 1/2 inch. Scrub well. Cook covered with water
over low heat until peel slips off easily, about 2 hours.
- Cool in liquid. Slip off peel, and cut off taproot, and grate in processor.
- In a large bowl, mix beets with other ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pack into jars, cover, and refrigerate at least 3 days.
- Allow to ripen at room temperature for about 1 hour before serving.
- Uncooked Horseradish Sauce: Mix ingredients in a nonmetallic bowl. Taste
and adjust seasoning.
Yield; about 2 pints. Keeps well in refrigerator.
Clabbered cream is of lighter consistency than sour cream and is comparable
to the French half clotted cream. It is made at home by mixing 1 cup of heavy cream
with 2 tablespoons of yogurt and left overnight in a warm place.
Posted by Olga at Recipe Goldmine March 20, 2002 15:35:29.