Bacon Peanut Brittle
1 pound bacon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon bacon fat (reserved)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
peanuts (roasted, salted)
- In a frying pan, cook bacon until brown and crispy. Remove bacon from
pan, cool and crumble into small pieces. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon fat
for brittle mixture.
- In a separate pot over high heat, stir together both sugars, corn syrup
and water. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture registers 290 degrees F on
a candy thermometer.
- With a wooden spoon or sturdy heat resistant spatula, carefully stir in
reserved bacon fat, vanilla extract, salt and baking soda. Mixture will foam
and lighten. Stir in nuts and bacon.
- Continue stirring over low heat until all ingredients are incorporated.
Immediately pour onto ungreased cookie sheet and spread as thinly as
possible using spoon or spatula. Brittle should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch
- Let brittle cool and harden, then break into pieces.
- Eat within 2 to 3 days.
Recipe property of Linda Ann Jolly.