Bacon Peanut Brittle
- 1 pound bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat (reserved)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup peanuts (roasted, salted)
- In a frying pan, cook bacon until brown and crispy. Remove bacon from pan, cool and crumble into small pieces. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon fat for brittle mixture.
- In a separate pot over high heat, stir together both sugars, corn syrup and water. Bring to a boil and cook until mixture registers 290 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- With a wooden spoon or sturdy heat resistant spatula, carefully stir in reserved bacon fat, vanilla extract, salt and baking soda. Mixture will foam and lighten. Stir in nuts and bacon.
- Continue stirring over low heat until all ingredients are incorporated. Immediately pour onto ungreased cookie sheet and spread as thinly as possible using spoon or spatula. Brittle should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
- Let brittle cool and harden, then break into pieces.
- Eat within 2 to 3 days.