Beef Turnovers (Empanadas)
You can use the discos or make your own turnover pastry. I've done both, and
they're equally as good. As far as sazon, you can really use whichever flavor
you like. Goya now makes a salt-free version of their seasoning. Or, if you
don't want to use sazon for any reason, just use a good seasoning salt, to
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 6 stuffed green olives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sofrito
- 1 packet sazon with coriander and annato
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 (14 ounce) package Goya discos (yellow or white), thawed*
- Vegetable oil, for frying
* Flattened dough for turnover pastries all rolled out and ready to fill - in the Mexican refrigerated
section. Make sure you buy the larger ones.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook
until browned, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in tomato sauce, olives, sofrito, garlic, oregano and black pepper. Lower
heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture thickens, about 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured work surface, using a rolling pin, roll out discos
until 1/2-inch larger in diameter. Spoon about 1 tablespoon meat mixture
into middle, fold in half to form a half moon; moisten edges with water and
pinch to seal closed, or seal with a fork.
- Fill a deep saucepan with oil to a depth of 2 1/2-inches. Heat oil over
medium-high heat until hot but not smoking (350 degrees F on deep-fry
- Cook turnovers in batches until crisp and golden brown, flipping once, 4
- 6 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Family Favorites Recipes