Family Favorites Recipes
Bizcochitos. A wonderfully flaky Mexican Christmas cookie. It is the cookie of the State of New Mexico.
- 1 pound lard, softened (no substitutes)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons anise seed
- 1/4 cup water, brandy or red wine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream lard and sugar.
- Add eggs and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients by hand.
- Add water, brandy and/or wine a little at a time until dough is soft but not sticky. If too sticky, add a little flour at a time.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours.
- Divide dough into sections. Flour work station and rolling pin. Roll out dough approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and cut with cookie cutters.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until bottom of cookie is light brown in color.
- Remove from cookie sheets and immediately dip the tops of the cookies into sugar and cinnamon topping. Cool.
- Keep refrigerated or freeze.