Bourbon Sweet Potatoes
I received this recipe from a friend when I lived in the Bay Area (San
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Scrub the potatoes. Cook covered in boiling salted water to cover in a large
saucepan about 35 minutes or until tender.
- Drain; cool slightly, then peel.
- Mash potatoes in large bowl.
- Add butter, bourbon, orange juice, brown sugar, salt and apple pie spice;
beat until fluffy-smooth.
- Spoon into a buttered 6-cup baking dish. Sprinkle nuts around edge.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
From the kitchen of Lula Hayden, California
From the Family Recipes Collection of Linda Jolly and Lisa Stephens.