Chicken Verde Tacos
- 8 tomatillos, husks removed
- 2-3 poblano peppers
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Cilantro, washed thoroughly
- 3-4 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- Corn tortillas (you can also use soft flour tortillas, if preferred)
- 1 roasted chicken (I use store bought rotisserie chicken because it's easy)
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange tomatillos on a tray and roast for about
15 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Turn oven to 475 degrees F.
- Put poblanos on foiled lined baking sheet and roast until skins turn bubbling
and partly black. (You can also do this on a grill). Once charred, remove peppers
from oven and let cool. When cooled, peel off skins, remove stems and seeds.
(If you like spicier food, leave seeds in peppers.)
- In a small pan, sauté chopped onion and garlic in enough oil (about 3 tablespoons)
so the garlic does not burn. Sauté until onions are softened and slightly translucent.
Remove from heat and combine the tomatillos, poblano peppers and the onion and
garlic mixture (oil included) into a blender and throw in a handful of cilantro.
Add salt and pepper to taste and 1 tablespoon of sugar to balance the bitterness
of the tomatillos. Blend until smooth. (Taste after blending. If still slightly
bitter, add more sugar to taste.
- Meanwhile, take chicken, remove skin and break up meat into shredded pieces.
Make sure no bones get in. Put the shredded chicken into pan used to sauté onions
and garlic, pour verde sauce over top and heat on medium-low heat until warmed
- Heat tortillas by package directions. Fill each with chicken verde mixture.
Eat as is or you can add your favorite toppings like hot sauce, sour cream,
cheese, tomatoes or lettuce.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.