Coconut Cream Pie in a Shortbread Crust
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher or sea
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut,
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(9-inch) Shortbread Pie
and Tart Crust
- Prepare Shortbread
Pie and Tart Crust. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in milk; cook
and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook
and stir for 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat; gradually stir about 1 cup of hot mixture into beaten
eggs. Return all to saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until nearly boiling.
Reduce heat; cook and stir for about 2 minutes more (do not boil).
- Remove from the heat; stir in 1 cup coconut, butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour into pie shell; sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- Chill for several hours before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
From the kitchen of Linda Ann Jolly.