This candy is a classic sweet made in England and Australia. You can use a smaller
pan if you want taller squares. You can use all one color. Just let your imagination
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (preferably clear)
- 3 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 to 3 drops pink food coloring
- Spray a square cake pan with oil and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, cream of tartar, sweetened
condensed milk and vanilla extract. Stir until well combined.
- Add coconut, and mix by hand until well combined. At this point you can divide
the mixture in half if you want to make it two different colors. The most common
color to use is pink (or a couple drops red will make it pink).
- Mix the colored half by hand to work in the food coloring.
- Press the pink mixture into the pan, pressing down very well.
- Add the white mixture to the top and press down until the top is even. It
helps if you use the bottom of a glass to press it down.
- Refrigerate for several hours, then cut into small squares to serve.