From Denmark comes these delightful pancakes. There are many flavor combinations, and they can even be "filled" with your favorite filling or preserves.
These are made in a special cast iron skillet with golf ball-size indentations in it. The skillet may be purchased in many hardware or kitchenware stores.
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered cardamom
- Oil for cooking
- Lingonberry jam
- Confectioners' sugar
- Combine buttermilk, flour, egg yolks, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cardamom.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry, and fold into batter.
- Pour approximately 1/2 teaspoon oil into each round of an ebleskiver skillet.
- Heat and fill rounds 3/4 full with batter. Add 1/2 teaspoon applesauce to each. Using 2 forks, turn when bubbles appear on top of each cake.
From the family recipe collection of Linda Jolly and Lisa Stephens.