This is a crisp Norwegian cookie. This recipe belonged to my step-Dad, Leo, a
Norwegian, born and raised in Winona, Minnesota.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- Confectioners' sugar
- Beat together egg yolks and salt until thick and light. Beat in light cream,
sugar and butter.
- Sift together flour and nutmeg. Add to egg yolk mixture with lemon rind.
Mix well, then chill for 1 hour.
- Roll out 1/4 of the dough at a time, keeping the remaining dough chilled.
Roll 1/16 inch thick. Cut in 1 1/2-inch wide strips. Cut diagonally at 4-inch
intervals. Make 1 inch slit lengthwise in center of each piece. Slip one end
through the slit.
- Fry a few at a time in deep fat (350 degrees F) for 1 to 2 minutes or until
- Remove from fat with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
- Store in an airtight container.
Prep Time: 20 min | Cook Time: 2 min | Yield: 6 dozen
From the kitchen of Leo Glende, Chandler, Arizona.
From the Family Favorites Recipes collection of Linda Jolly and Lisa Stephens.