General George Pudding
What a way to celebrate George Washington’s birthday!
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups granulated
- 1 can sour cherries, drained and juice reserved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Mix crumbs with hot milk and let cool.
- Beat eggs and add sugar. Add egg mixture to milk and crumbs.
- Drain juice from cherries, saving the juice, and put cherries with the pudding
mixture. Put into a greased baking dish and dot with butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for one hour.
- Serve with Cherry Sauce.
- Cherry Sauce: Add water to cherry juice to make 1 1/2 cups liquid.
- Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch with 1/2 cup sugar and a pinch of salt.
Add a little liquid to the cornstarch and sugar and make a smooth paste. Combine
all and stir over low heat until thick and smooth.
This is a recipe from Linda's Grandmother, Frieda Louise Becker-Roth, of
Muscatine, Iowa – d.1949.
From the Family Recipes Collection of Linda Ann Jolly and Lisa Marie Stephens.