This is also known as Garden Hash. My Mother used to make something similar during the summer. We always had a huge garden when I was growing up, so we had plenty of "green stuff" for this dish. We loved it, and couldn't wait for her to make it.
- 8 strips bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 12 small zucchini, sliced
- 4 medium green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- Fry bacon until almost cooked in a large skillet. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings.
- Saute onion with bacon until golden brown; add bell pepper, zucchini and tomatoes. Sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add tomato sauce; stir lightly. Cover, and let simmer slowly for 15 minutes.
- Turn into a casserole. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings