This is also known as Garden Hash. My Mother used to make this during
the summer. We always had a huge garden when I was growing up, so we
had plenty of "green stuff" for this dish. Many times, she would omit the tomato
sauce and Cheddar cheese and just served it from the skillet. We loved it, and
couldn't wait for her to make it.
- 8 strips bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 12 small zucchini, sliced
- 4 medium green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- Fry bacon until almost cooked in a large skillet. Drain all but 2
tablespoons of the drippings.
- Saute onion with bacon until golden brown; add bell pepper, zucchini and
tomatoes. Sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add tomato sauce; stir lightly. Cover, and let simmer slowly for 15 minutes.
- Turn into a casserole. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Serves 8 to 10.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.