This casserole is an original and was named after the Hassayampa River that flows
in Wickenburg, Arizona.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 (8 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes, diced
- 10 ounces frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup sliced black
- 3 large green chiles, chopped
- 1 pound shrimp or imitation crabmeat
- 12 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 12 corn tortillas
- Sauté onion in oil and add cinnamon, chili powder and cumin.
- Stir in enchilada sauce and diced tomatoes. Set aside 1 cup sauce.
- Add to remaining sauce the corn, olives, green chiles, shrimp or crabmeat
and 1 cup cheese.
- In a 3-quart shallow casserole dish, cover bottom with some of the tortillas.
- Spread 1/3 of shrimp/crabmeat mixture over tortillas; repeat with 2 more
- Top with remaining tortillas, sauce and cheese.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 40 minutes.
From the kitchen of Linda Ann Jolly - Arizona.
From the Family Recipes Collection of Linda Ann Jolly and Lisa Marie Stephens.