Linda's Oyster Dressing
If you are using this to stuff a turkey, DO NOT MAKE THIS THE DAY BEFORE! Make
it just before stuffing the turkey right before you bake it. I normally serve it
as a dressing side dish. This will stuff a 10- to 12-pound turkey.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 cups crumbled cornbread ( homemade or store bought)
- 3 cups bread crumbs, small dice
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 pint shucked fresh oysters, drained (reserve 1/2 cup oyster liquid)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter a large rectangular baking
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
Sauté onions and celery in the butter until tender; remove from heat an add
a small pinch of cayenne and poultry seasoning and let cool.
- Combine cornbread and breadcrumbs in a large bowl; gently fold in sautéed
onions, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Add beaten eggs and toss more; moisten with the reserved oyster liquid until
moist but not soggy. Gently stir in the oysters.
- Pat the mixture into the prepared baking pan (it should make a 1-inch layer
in the pan). Dot with remaining butter and bake about 45 minutes, until golden
brown and set in the center.
From the kitchen of Linda Jolly.
From the Family Recipes Collection of Linda Jolly and Lisa Stephens.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.