Use your choice of meats in this versatile casserole.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef, ground turkey, chorizo or diced cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced finely
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 8 ounces Dorito corn chips, crushed, or regular corn chips
- 1 (15 ounce) can Bush’s ranch-style beans or chili beans
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro*Tel, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups Mexican-style shredded cheese
- Flour or corn tortillas, warmed
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, brown the meat for 5 minutes, using a spoon to break up any large clumps. Drain off excess fat and add onion, garlic and chili powder. Continue to cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans to the cooked meat mixture.
- Combine the tomatoes with the soup in a small bowl, mixing completely.
- Place about 3/4 of the crushed chips into the bottom of the casserole. Spoon on half the meat mixture, then half the soup mixture. Then add half of the shredded cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle the top of the dish with the remaining crushed Doritos or corn chips.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until mixture is bubbling and top is lightly browned.
- Serve with tortillas on the side.
From the family recipe collection of Linda Jolly and Lisa Stephens.