This is a wonderful recipe from my sister, Kathryn, in Augusta, Georgia. The
original recipe was invented by Freda Smith of Gibsonburg, Ohio for the 1957
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or shortening*
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 48 Hershey’s Kisses®
* Butter makes it more flavorful.
- Combine all ingredients except candy in a large mixer bowl. Mix on lowest
speed of mixer until dough forms. Shape dough into balls, using a rounded teaspoonful
for each. Roll balls in sugar; place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Top each cookie immediately with a candy kiss. Press down firmly so cookie
cracks around the edge.
From the kitchen of Kathryn M. - Georgia
From the Family Recipes Collection of Linda Jolly and Lisa Stephens.