Polish Haluski (Fried Cabbage, Onion and Noodles)
Polish Haluski is a great comfort food. This is a favorite lunch of mine.
- 1 very large sliced onion
- 8 ounces butter
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces 1/2-inch egg noodles, cooked
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the round onion slices in half and then in half again so each round
yields four pieces.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven sauté onion in 4 ounces of butter, stirring
frequently, over low heat until very lightly caramelized. This could take 15
minutes or more.
- Add the cabbage and remaining butter, salt and pepper to taste, and 2 tablespoons
of water, if necessary. Do not cover. Sauté slowly, stirring frequently, over
low heat until cabbage is tender but not brown (cook to al dente stage if
baking in oven). This could take 30 minutes or more.
- Combine onion-cabbage mixture with cooked noodles, mixing well. Adjust seasonings
- Serve immediately.
Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: 45 min | Yield: 6 servings
From the Family Recipes Collection of Linda Jolly and Lisa Stephens.