Shrimp Chow Mein
This is a double hit. If you like Chinese food and shrimp, this is the recipe for you!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 (14 ounce) can bean sprouts, drained
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 teaspoons water
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- Hot cooked rice or chow mein noodles
- Saute onion and celery in butter until onion is tender.
- Add next 6 ingredients, stirring well. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp; simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Combine water and cornstarch, stirring until smooth. Add to shrimp mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
From the Family Recipes Collection of Linda Jolly and Lisa Stephens.